Transition to Adult Living
To provide youth assistance in transitioning from foster care to adult living through a private/public network of support, in order to promote their success. This assistance includes assessment, mentoring, self-esteem building, personal future planning, caregiver and family networking, basic life-skills training, housing, leisure skills, education, employment, on-the-job training, information and referral, crisis support, medical, mental health and limited financial assistance.
- Access to safe and affordable housing
- Employment at levels sufficient to cover basic needs.
- Establish a mentoring program to promote enduring and supportive relationships.
- Provide training and education for career preparation.
- Promote mental health and physical wellness.
- Provide personal life skills training for successful transition to adulthood.
- Provide training and support to foster parents to assist in healthy transitions for youth.
- Involve youth in all aspects of planning and implementation of services and support.
What happens to youth if we don't do thisNational studies on kids aging out of foster care show:
- 60 percent of females had given birth.
- 90 percent have no health-care coverage.
- Are more likely to be homeless.
- Have lower math and reading skills and only half complete high school.
- Are more likely to be involved in the criminal justice system with about 19 percent incarcerated.
- Develop an Interactive Web site so youth can easily access employment, housing, educational and other resources .
- Provide funding for housing and work-related expenses such as clothing, transportation, utility and rent deposits.
- Initiate a variety of mentoring programs to provide a positive, trusting relationship with a caring adult.
- Provide hands-on opportunities for youth to learn the skills necessary to live independently.
- Address and eliminate policy, funding and administrative barriers that prevent youth from receiving the services and support they need .
- Consolidate and integrate the planning, funding and service-delivery systems at the State and Local levels .